karlynp

Karlynp & The Doggone World

Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) - Jamie McGuire 3.5 stars. Told in first person through the eyes of the heroine Abby Abernathy, Beautiful Disaster chronicles the college freshman journey of two very young, emotional charged, highly idealistic but oh-so-clueless people trying to act like grown up lovers. I honestly did enjoy it, but I think I am just too old to really care about so much self inflicted angst. They were young with raw and unchecked emotions, too prideful to say what they really wanted to say, and loved those dramatic exit scenes every single time they had a fight (which was OFTEN!) I'm glad I read it, but wont be searching out more books like it. In fact, I would probably avoid any book likened to this one.

The hero, Travis "Mad Dog" Maddox. Age 19 or 20?: A tortured and tattoo'd mega stud that all women want and all men fear, prefers brutal and violent solutions then using logic and clear thinking, gets straight As with little studying and lots of whiskey drinking, and suffers from severe OCD when it comes to Abby Abernathy:
He was the worst kind of confident. Not only was he shamelessly aware of his appeal, he was so used to women throwing themselves at him that he regarded my cool demeanor as refreshing instead of an insult.

His amazing communication skills shines through:
“Don’t you fucking look at her. Look at me you spoiled shit stain.” Parker focused on Travis’ eyes and waited. “If you so much as breathe in her direction, I’ll make sure you’ll be limping through med school.”

POW,POW,POW!!! Blood squirts everywhere!! POW, POW, POW!!! Repeat a few chapters later. (Yawn, that got old. And he never gets in the slightest trouble with the school or law? Yeah right.)

The heroine, Abby Abernathy (aka Pigeon) Age 19: She a good girl with a MYSTERIOUS past, she both loves and hates being the center of everyone's attention, gets PO'd really fast about anything and everything, and is desired by all men -- but only when she is with Travis.

First she cares what every one think...
I was certain the gossip had soared to a new level since Travis had kissed me in full view of everyone in our History class, and I dreaded walking out onto the stage the cafeteria presented.

Then she doesn't care what they think...
“We don’t care what they think, remember? You can’t start now,” I said, smiling with confidence. I had more of an effect on him than I ever thought possible.

The she cares again...
“You know that’s a bunch of bullshit, right? It’s not true.”
“I’m sure that’s what everyone is thinking,” I grumbled, noting the interest of those walking by.
“Then I’ll prove them wrong.”

The endless fight, angst and drama. Oh, and plenty of PDA make up scenes! Here's just a sample:
“Pigeon,” he said, taking a step toward me. “Get OUT!” I said, grabbing the glass from the night stand and throwing it at him.
---------
“You’re going to have to tone down the jealous boyfriend-thing, Travis. I didn’t do anything wrong.” Travis shot me an incredulous look. “I walk up here, and some guy is buying you a drink!”
--------
“I’m sorry, Pigeon, I didn’t know he had a hold of you.”
“Your fist was two inches from my face!” I said, catching the oil-stained towel Shepley had thrown at me. I wiped the blood from my hand, revolted. The seriousness of the situation darkened his face and he winced.
“I wouldn’t have swung if I thought I could have hit you. You know that right?”
“Shut up, Travis. Just shut up,” I said
“We’re leaving!”
“What?” Finch yelled over the music.
“Travis is in a pissy mood! We’re leaving!”
---------
He nodded. “I’ll do anything you want. Just…tell me you love me.”
“You know I do.”
“I need to hear you say it,” he said, his brows pulling together.
“I love you,” I said, touching my lips to his. “Now quit being such a baby.”
--------
“We are dysfunctional, Travis. I think you’re just obsessed with the thought of owning me more than anything else.” “That’s not true. I love you more than my life, Pigeon,” he said, hurt. “That’s exactly what I mean. That’s crazy talk.”

The secondary characters seem to under stand what Travis and Abby do not:
"You two are a disaster.”
I smiled at the ceiling. “It doesn’t matter what or why it is. When it’s good, Kara…it’s beautiful.”
---------
“I wish you and Travis would just get your shit together! You’re a goddamn tornado! When you’re happy, it’s love and peace and butterflies. When you’re pissed, you take the whole fucking world down with you!”

Well, it was good at times.