karlynp

Karlynp & The Doggone World

Sunrise Over Texas - M.J. Fredrick ‘Sunrise Over Texas’ is one of those emotionally rich romance stories that will put a lump in your throat, if not a tear in your eye. Set in 1826 at an abandoned garrison military fort in the Texas wilderness during deep winter, the widow Katherine (Kit) Barclay, along with her mother-in-law and sister-in-law, are struggling to survive on meager rations in an abandoned cabin. The garrison walls are their only protection from the Indians, but the walls also keep them from obtaining more food and a passage to safety. Then one day a man riding a horse makes his way near the gates and collapses on the ground. Kit brings him into the fort to nurse him back to health, meanwhile working herself to the bone keeping everyone fed and safe. As Trace Watson heals, Kit becomes his lifeline to sanity. A recent widower himself, he left New Orleans months earlier to escape the memories of losing a wife and child. Slowly these two find comfort in each other’s arms, and they form a deeply passionate relationship. But their journey to safety and a happy ending are far from easy. As their pasts meet up with the present, both Kit and Trace discover that life outside of the garrison may change everything between them.

I absolutely enjoyed this short ebook, and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good cabin romance or a heartfelt American historical. While it started a bit slow for me, once Trace began mending and his relationship with Kit started to build steam, the story just grabbed me. I love a good cabin romance too, and on that level this book delivered. The relationship between Kit and Trace was passionate – and at times steamy hot – but it was the tenderness between them that really stood out for me. I did feel the ending (at least the last few pages) may have been a bit rushed and the dialog a bit too sugary sweet, but it didn’t take away from my enjoyment.

I got this book as an ARC copy from Netgalley, but it is a book I would have paid for and read regardless as it is the kind of romance book I enjoy.