karlynp

Karlynp & The Doggone World

A Beginner's Guide to Rakes - Suzanne Enoch Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........DNF

I made it halfway, so someone pat me on the back. What a snooze. Maybe this book only seemed worse than it is because I tried listening to it instead of just reading it. So not only did I get a boring story with characters I could careless about, but I had to suffer through the annoying voice of Anne Flosnik. I should have known better to get a book that she read. I know many like her, but I forgot how annoying her narration is. Still, the story is the story and I can usually over look less than stellar narration, but this one was simply a big WHO GIVES A FLYING F.

The story in a nutshell (before I DNF'd the dang book):
A jilted widow returns to London to open a gaming hall and use only female employees, she black mails her former lover into funding it, meanwhile treating him like a doormat (or worse). We are suppose to excuse her violent tendencies when she shoots the hero (and then they act as if she only slapped him, really?!) or lobs a candelabra at his head.

So is her gaming hall a success? Did the mysterious Earls daughter ever get caught working as a dealer? Did the hero get any more serious injuries or wounds at the hand of the heroine? Was her questionable reputation saved in the end? I have no idea, and I don't care.

Final verdict: DNF