karlynp

Karlynp & The Doggone World

When A Lady Misbehaves (Pleasure Emporium Novels) - Michelle Marcos This is a such a fun, clever, witty and heart-melting romance. I picked this book up without a clue who the author is, nor had I read any reviews of this book. I based my purchase solely on two things. First, the endorsement by Lisa Kleypas compelled me (I know, I know, I've been burned more times than not when buying books solely on the endorsement!). The second reason was the first few pages just grabbed me. I love historical romances; especially those that can make me both laugh and cry, so I thought I'd give a try. And I really enjoyed it! I will read this author again. Her writing is fresh and so clever. The passion felt so real, the characters were full of life, and the story never had a lull. I'd rate the love scenes and sensuality somewhere around medium warm. Not quite the hot and spicy romances that I prefer, but it was a very satisfying romance story.

This is a great Cinderella-ish type story, with a young, feisty heroine named April (the Dustbin Dutchess) and Riley, the rich, handsome and titled hero. They come from different worlds, but when they collide the sparks really fly. April begins as a kitchen maid at a whorehouse, but daydreams constantly of a better life. She is fascinated by the upper class and follows the gossip rags. She hates that her birth has forced her into servitude and gives her no other options. She is unusual for a servant girl as she is intelligent, morally good, and fairly well educated by her late father. Out of desperation to save her virtue, she plots to make a better life by pretending to be the daughter of a famous courtesan. This sums up chapter 1, and I will stop there.

I would recommend that you read this book before reading too many reviews, as you really don't want the story spoiled for you. This book has sevaral "I didn't see that coming!" moments, which may be revealed in some reviews.