karlynp

Karlynp & The Doggone World

The Darkest Day - Britt Bury
WOW, LOVED IT! This may be the BEST PNR debut book of 2012. The story grabbed me from the gitgo and never let up. What a fun, sexy hot book! I can’t wait for more of this series. It was PURE ROMANCE CANDY, and I devoured it!! If you like your PNR books HOT and have a thing for warrior highlanders, this one is for you. I haven’t been this excited for a new series in a long, long time.

The Darkest Day is a debut PNR set in a world where immortal creatures rule earth and other realms. Mortals are all extinct (so they believe), but many immortals still have traces of mortal blood in them.

Two immortal Scottish highlander clans have been feuding for centuries, but a curse by one clan meant to bring down their worst foe may actually be their own undoing.

After killing the Chief of the Campbell clan in revenge for killing his father, Kelvin Kerr has been searching 25-years for the missing heir to the Campbell throne. Hidden away and protected by a magical spell, Izel Campbell is not only the last mortal alive on earth – she is the missing leader of the Campbell clan.

Surprised to find Izel is female – and human! – Kelvin cannot simply kill the lass. With matters complicated and her protection spell broken, they journey to his Castle in order to hide her away. Kelvin cannot believe the human enemy before him is his fated mate, and the drive to have her wars with his need to do right by his clan.

Izel and Kelvin made a GREAT pair. Their banter was pitch perfect and hilarious at times, and they smoked up the pages! Izel’s protection spell kept her human emotions at bay, but now that the spell is broken she finds herself struggling with a plethora of new feelings. She is naïve in some ways, yet incredibly intelligent where it matters.

“What? You don’t like me talking of other men?” She traced a finger between her breasts. “Does the thought of them touching me—”

“Woman! You’ll mind your mouth, else I’ll make ya regret those words.” He was breathing hard. His muscled chest heaved. She was literally jabbing at a sleeping beast. A wiser person would stop, but nothing about him made her want to be wise.

“Make me regret my words, huh?” Pursing her lips, she looked him in the eye. “That’s pretty big talk, coming from a man who never follows through with his threats.”

He growled and clasped her nape in his large palm. Only a knee-high wall of porcelain separated them. The water swished along the bottom of her knees. Kelvin yanked her face inches from his. “You goad me on purpose.” He wrapped her hair around his fist, his snarling lips hovering over hers. “Human, you have no idea what you’ve awakened.”

What makes this such a great debut novel it that it does not suffer from the dreaded ‘first book-itis’. Thankfully, there is no endless info dumping nor long introductions to characters for future books. Instead we get enough world building to understand Kelvin and Inez’s story, the many great secondary characters we meet along the way are all relevant to this story, and we get several great teaser sub-stories on other characters to peak our interest for more.

OMG, there are a few secondary characters in this book that I can’t wait to read more about. It is clear there is more going on in this world than we will see in just this book, and other characters are certainly having their story unfold but we will not know more until their books are written. I get the feeling many of the future books will over-lap a bit with this one. It was great balance for a debut book, the author did a great job setting up the series without over doing it.

In summary, imagine taking the mega-hot uber alpha highlanders from Karen Monings’ Highlander series then dumping them in a mad PNR world similar to Kresley Cole’s IAD series, and then toss in a lot more crazy magical being, more hot highlander warriors, and pit them against Immortal clans who have been feuding for over one-thousand years, and you have an idea of what to expect in THE DARKEST DAY.

I highly recommend it to all PNR fans who like their books hot, sexy, alpha, and laced with some good dark humor.

(ARC copy provided by Netgalley.com)